Monday, July 19, 2010

Travel the World!

Photobucket


My first review for the Crew is for the June 2010 module of The Schoolhouse Planner by The Old Schoolhouse Magazine.

The module, Travel the World, is a geography ebook about the continents of the world. For just $7.95 you get tons of information and activities, including:







*Detailed information about the seven continents: North and South America, Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia, and Antarctica. For each continent there are links to a variety of resources including definitions, pictures, interactive maps, games to name and locate countries on a continent, and more.

*Worksheets to reinforce learning. There are a variety of puzzles-fill in the blanks, word scramble, crossword, etc. as well as geography worksheets. They all range in difficulty, so you can use them with a variety of ages. Since the publisher didn't specify an age, I assumed it was meant to be used with all ages and used it with my six year old as well as my fourteen year old. There was something for both of them!

*Lapbooking activities

*Copywork for printing and manuscript using bible verses, quotes, and geography definitions.

*Songs; recipes; and lots of resource links.

*High school expansion that includes an online geography challenge, activities like researching a country they'd like to visit, wordsearches and more.

My thoughts:

I really liked that it could be tailored to use with all my girls. Having a ten year difference between my oldest and youngest sometimes makes it difficult to find things for all of them to work on together.

My girls liked that they got to use the computer for this. Anything they can do on the computer is a big hit around here.

In the section on North America there was a link to an online game for finding states and for finding capitals. This was a great fit for us because that is something we've been working on this year.

Overall I really liked this ebook. It was thorough, informative, and fun. The different ways the information were presented kept my girls engaged and excited about learning. As a busy mom it was a great resource for me to have all the information and links in one place so I didn't have to go hunting all over the internet putting together a study myself. I'm easily distracted, and can't even count the number of hours I've lost online when I got on meaning to research and twenty clicks later my time is up with none of the information I went looking for! This was a perfect solution all around for us!
To hear what my crew members had to say about this ebook, go here.

*Disclaimer: I have received this product free of charge in return for a fair and honest review.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Great review, April! I am having fun reading through everyone's reviews!
(Also discovering some from the Crew that I missed)

http://www.lightlibertyandlearning.blogspot.com

Guiding Light said...

Hi! Stopping by from the Crew to check out your review. Great job! Have a wonderfully blessed day!

Our Village is a Little Different said...

Hello from a fellow TOS crew member. I'm spending a little time checking out some of the the other reviews. Nice job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails