Monday, September 20, 2010

Spaghetti sauce-if I can do it, anyone can!

sauce
A few weeks ago we had a bunch of tomatoes my husband picked from the garden that I didn’t want to go to waste, so I decided to try my hand at homemade sauce.  I quartered the tomatoes and pureed them in the blender. (Some people peel and seed the tomatoes, I don’t mind the seeds so I just threw them in whole) Then I boiled them down on the stove for a couple of hours.  At that point I had the tomato sauce base.  (I decided to leave it plain so that I could use it for pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce-whatever I happen to be in the mood for)I poured it into containers to cool, and then stuck it in the freezer.

Today I wanted to make spaghetti, so I threw a container of frozen sauce in the Crockpot with freshly picked zucchini, carrots, green peppers, sugar, garlic and onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. I had some leftover frozen hamburger, so I threw that in, too. I let it all simmer for the afternoon, and voila! My very first batch of homemade spaghetti sauce!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails